Sprawling, packed of people, neon-lit and traffic-choked. Words that you wouldn't typically associate with a dream destination, such are the characteristics that make Bangkok as charming as it is chaotic. From bustling markets and bazaars selling every conceivable (and unconceivable) item, and spit-and-sawdust bars to flashy and high-rolling Michelin-starred restaurants and hotels the world has to offer, Bangkok definitely has something for everyone. Which is why we can't wait to fly there, and we're hoping you can't either. Just make sure you bring a map.
And some basic information. Which we'd like to help you with - here are some tips that we have stocked in our pockets for our own Bangkok Scootaways:
1. Take your pick: a hearty meal of banana pancakes and smoked bacon, or a morning sugar treat of sticky toffee toast? You can have either (or both) at After You Dessert Café .
2. Load up with bags of durian chips from local supermarkets for your friends back home. They taste better than you might expect.
3. Don’t let its grammatically imperfect name, It’s Happened to be a Closet, throw you off: this Siam Square café serves delightful pasta, while the shop sells retro clothing and accessories that have a loyal following.
4. Hit Bang Rak Market on Charoen Krung Road for a taste of authentic Thai food. Two dishes to try: crispy mussels at Thip Hoi Thot Phu-khao Fai, and the iconic mango sticky rice at Boonsap Thai Desserts.
1. Find everything from footwear to furniture, hats to home accessories, and pets to pashminas at the 27-acre large sprawl that is the Chatuchak Weekend Market.
1. Nestled within an old wooden house sans fancy spa trimmings, Ruen Nuad massage studio promises an excellent Thai massage and oil-based therapies.
1. See Bangkok from a superhero’s perspective at the Sky Bar on the 63rd floor of The Dome at State Tower Behold, and enjoy sweeping, 360-degree views of the Thai capital and its famous Chao Phraya River as you sip on drinks from the extensive bar. It’s definitely deserving of its rep as one of Bangkok’s most glam hangouts.
2. Rub shoulders with Bangkok’s high society and international set at Q Bar, which draws in the well-heeled clients with its hot DJs and well-known bands.